Friday 11 June 2010

Super sandwiches

This week I ate the best sandwich of my life. Big statement and not one I'm making lightly. Like a lot things, I tend to be a bit phasey* about sandwiches; for weeks I'll love them and then for the next few months I have no urge to eat one. Before this particular sandwich I was in a definite 'I don't feel like eating sandwiches' phase and when my friend said that she wanted one for lunch I have to admit I groaned inwardly. But, keeping my mouth shut, I followed her to Birley Sandwiches, where even seeing the array of tempting focaccias and fillings couldn't change my mind. 

Thankfully, the salami and brie pita that I ordered soon did. It was amazing. As well as the meat and cheese, it had rocket, tomato and - the ingredient that took it from 4 stars to 5 - fresh home-made green pesto. Now I have no way of knowing that the pesto didn't come out of a jar, but it certainly didn't look or taste like it did. If I have any complaints it would be that there wasn't enough brie, but there was loads of salami to compensate. My two friends gave equally glowing reviews of their sandwiches and an accompanying yoghurt (which looked very tasty). Birley's can be found in 8 locations around London, but I ate at the Paternoster Square store which had a lovely view of the square and St Paul's Cathedral.   

*I have a tendency to make up words and while I cant use them in my paid journalism, I'm going to let them flow freely in my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment