Sunday 12 September 2010

Café: Next Door

This week I had the pleasure of going to the Next Door café for the first time. My friend was a little late so I did some work on my laptop to pass the time and I felt I could easily return alone and get some serious work done there.

The quirky café is next door to Sush on Collins Street, and is owned by the same people - hence the name. Keeping with the door theme, the walls are covered from floor to ceiling in them. Every one is second-hand and a different size, shape and colour and I overheard that they got them from the tip-shop. It's odd but very cool.


Table water is served in 1L old glass Coca Cola bottles, and retro patterned glasses are provided to drink it out of. Jazz fills the space, punctuated by the at times loud rumblings of the coffee machine.

I was being indecisive about what to have (nothing new there), so the waiter suggested the green tea latte. Being adventurous, I said yes. It was very strange, although not necessarily in a bad way. It had the flavour of green tea and the texture of a latte but I do have to say that I'd probably prefer to have them in their normal, separate manifestations. The taste just wasn't quite to my liking but a bit of sugar did help with that. 

They also do food but as I didn't have any I'm not going to comment other than to say I liked the atmosphere so much that I will no doubt be back there soon and then I'll try something to eat. Highly recommend if you're the kind of person who likes to while a way and hour or two over your coffee. 



View Next Door in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment